Echelon Smart Connect EX1 Review
The Echelon Smart Connect Bike EX1 is all about the spin experience; subscribe and access 16 or more spin classes live and direct in…
Echelon Smart Connect EX1 Specs
|Console display||Works with any size mobile device screen.|
|Seat type||Adjustable ergonomic sport seat with center channel|
|Programs||Bluetooth-connect with Echelon Fit App to track stats.|
|Dimensions||59” L x 53” W x 23” H|
How We Reviewed This Model
The Echelon Smart Connect EX1 is part of the new revolutionary way of working out at home, virtually, being in the confines of your home, in your personal space while having the advantages of the personal trainer and the benefits of a class camaraderie – motivating each other.
The app gives access to more than 16 instructors and all varieties of classes, live and on demand. Live classes become on-demand once they are finished. There are four levels of subscription:
- Connect Rides ($29.99/month): includes live and on demand rides on the Connect bike.
- Connect + Extra Mile ($34.99/month): includes all Connect rides and access to the Extra Mile (yoga, stretching, Pilates, meditation etc.)
- Extra Mile ($12.99/month): access to all extra mile classes (yoga, stretching, Pilates, meditation etc.)
- Yearly Connect + Extra Mile ($349.99/year): access to all Connect Rides and Extra Mile.
Although leading the Echelon brand is the workout experience, the specs and quality of the bike will continue to be an important part of decision making. Made from steel the frame is built to last. The heavier 33 lb. flywheel magnetic resistance makes for a quiet and stable ride; and that’s 32 levels of resistance. The sport seat is a little larger and padded for duration (going the extra mile). Aluminum pedals are sturdy and will allow for regular shoes or clips. As for the traditional console, there isn’t any. Instead there is a bracket to hold a tablet or smartphone, from where you will access the app and stream classes.
As far as the technological requirements, it is compatible with Apple devices (Arm 64 Chip) and Android 6.0 and higher. There are built in speakers or use with Bluetooth speakers.
- Personal training experience: The stand out feature with the Echelon is the virtual experience – the fact that you can join a live class through your smartphone or tablet and interact without actually being physically in the class. You’re still privy to the encouragement and energy of a live person, in your personal space. You no longer have to rush through traffic to make sure you get into that popular class with your favourite instructor, or line up or make sure you get there early enough to get in. You just have to walk into the next room and if something comes up at your regular ride slot you can catch the class on demand at a later time.
- Frame: A steel frame makes it strong and long lasting.
- Flywheel (magnetic): At 33 lbs. it is a heavy flywheel, which makes for a quiet and sturdy ride.
- Compact size: At 59”L x 53” H x 23”W, it’s relatively small enough to fit into most spaces.
- Seats: Padded seats are larger than norm, yet comfortable and adjustable in four directions: back and forth, up and down.
- Pedals: Good strong aluminum pedals designed with the option to use both regular shoes and clip in cycling shoes.
- Handlebars: The multi-position handlebars make it more comfortable to stand up, lean forward and ride.
- Programs: The bike does not come with any programs or a console, it will only work with your personal device that is linked to the app, which means there is no other way to ride and monitor your stats. You can ride the bike and manually change resistance but you will not be able to track calories burned and distance etc. And you must pay for the subscription to use the basics. The more you want to experience the more you must pay in each subscription upgrade.
- Warranty: The warranty provided with purchase is for one year, if you desire more coverage you have the option to buy extended warranties. It is a little short on the warranty considering that customers can only continue to use the bike with Echelon app and subscription. Essentially customers are for life and will forever be paying to use even the basics, so Echelon’s warranty is on the weak side considering that their customers will always be paying towards Echelon.
WHO SHOULD RIDE THE Echelon Smart Connect Bike EX1?
The Echelon Bike is for anyone who likes to ride or spin and has the budget to pay premium for the bike and continue paying a monthly subscription. The cost of the bike plus the monthly subscription can be the equivalent to a couple of years of gym memberships; at the gym you have access to a spin class and other classes or equipment.
If you are someone who works odd hours or just prefer to be alone but still like the interaction it will work for you.
The Bottom Line
It’s great. Work from home but still interact with people. No longer rush to make sure you get on the list for those extremely popular classes. You will always be front row and center. It really doesn’t get better than that, however it is costly. The premium cost of the bike along with the monthly subscription is more than a regular gym membership where you can access both the spin class and other equipment.