Proform Hybrid Trainer XT Review
The Proform Hybrid Trainer XT is both an elliptical trainer and a recumbent bike. The price point ($399) and resistance levels make it a…
Proform Hybrid Trainer XT Specs
|Console display||Large LCD display|
|Seat type||Adjustable, Cushioned Seat|
|Weight capacity||350 Lb.|
|Dimensions||60.5 L x 24.5 W x 70.5 H|
How We Reviewed This Model
The Proform Hybrid Trainer XT is both an elliptical machine and a recumbent bike: a simple adjustment of the console and pedals allows you to switch from one to the other. This works very well because you have access to two different machines without taking up too much space in your home gym. You can also enjoy a total body workout in the elliptical mode by moving the handlebars while you stride. Speaking of stride, the length is 15”, which is a little on the short side as the standard is usually 18” – 20″.
One of the cool features of the trainer is that it comes iFit Coach-enabled. The iFit Coach is an interactive virtual trainer. It features programs like GlobeTrek™ workouts, which use Google Maps to allow you to exercise “around the world” in a wide variety of landscapes and cities. The iFit subscription does not come with the Trainer XT, so you must purchase it separately and it’s accessed via your mobile device or computer.
16 workout programs are available. Eight are specifically for your ride on the recumbent and the other eight are for elliptical training. There are also 16 levels of resistance. In the world of workout equipment, they are considered lower-level resistance because of the source of resistance—the 13 lb flywheel. This makes it a good machine for those new to daily exercise routines. A large LCD display/console—angle can be adjusted to elliptical or bike mode—makes it easy to follow your programs and monitor your heart rate, speed, calories burned and distance. The built-in watts power meter lets you know when to slow down or pick up your speed.
The recumbent is designed with an adjustable cushioned seat for a comfortable ride. The large cushioned pedals also put a premium on comfort, offering different foot positions and stability.
The audio auxiliary port allows you to plug in your device and increase your volume through two 2-inch speakers. A workout is always more fun when motivated by your favorite music playlist, podcast or iFit coach.
Wheels are mounted on the front of the Proform Hybrid Trainer XT for easy movement and storage. The water bottle holder is placed in the front of the machine, so staying hydrated is a breeze.
The 350 lb weight capacity means this machine can accommodate most exercisers.
- Affordable Price: Only $399
- Two-in-one: The Proform Hybrid Trainer XT is both an elliptical machine and a recumbent bike. With two simple adjustments to the pedals and console, you are either riding a bike or making strides on an elliptical. Two-machines-in-one make this ideal for small home gyms.
- Program Variety: There are 16 workouts to choose from, each developed by a certified personal trainer. Eight are geared to elliptical training and the other eight for lower body workouts on the recumbent.
- Watts Power Meter: Shows on the display when to slow down or pick up your speed.
- iFit Coach-enabled: The most fun feature (if you buy the subscription, which starts at $15/month according to the iFit site). You can access the iFit Coach workouts and features via your mobile device or a desktop computer.
- Moveable Handlebars: You can turn an elliptical workout into a full-body workout by using these soft-grip moveable handlebars.
- Sound System: The audio auxiliary system allows you to plug in your device, adding volume to your favorite playlist, podcast or iFit workout.
- Adjustable Seat: The cushioned seat adjusts both vertically and horizontally to help you find the perfect fit.
- Generous Weight Capacity: It can hold up to 350 lbs, which accommodates most people.
- Large Tablet Holder: This shelf holds your tablet or smartphone securely so you can easily engage with your device or follow your iFit workout.
- Lack of advanced workouts: The light resistance levels and the 13-pound flywheel aren’t suited for the more advanced exerciser.
- Requires Outside Devices: To use the iFit feature, you must leverage your own mobile device, laptop or desktop.
- iFit is Extra: While the trainer is iFit-enabled, it doesn’t come with a subscription. An iFit subscription starts at $15/month according to the iFit site
- Shorter Stride: 15” elliptical stride is short. If you’re taller, you’ll want between 18”- 20”
- Short Parts & Labor Warranty: Only a 90 day warranty for parts and labor.
- Assembly: Some find the Hybrid Trainer XT difficult to put together.
WHO SHOULD RIDE THE Proform Hybrid Trainer XT?
This Proform Hybrid Trainer XT model is great for someone new to working out or someone who needs a low-impact exercise option. The light resistance levels will provide a challenge for novices, but if you really build up your strength and endurance, you’ll need a machine that can provide more resistance and possibly more bells and whistles.
The Bottom Line
The Proform Hybrid Trainer XT is the perfect entry-level machine that offers the combination of elliptical and bike training. At under $500, it comes at an appealing price point if you’re just getting started with an exercise routine. By virtue of it being two-machines-in-one, it’s a great way to add variety to your workouts without taking up a ton of space in your home with multiple pieces of equipment.